Saturday, February 04, 2006

Bible Reading Challenge

I would like to challenge you to read through the Bible in one year-not on someone's schedule, but at your own pace. Read it from a version that you haven't read for awhile. Such as, I haven't read through the Bible in the KJV version in years and it is refreshing to read a different version-used to read out of the NIV or NASB.

Been reading in I Samuel about King Saul, his son Jonathan, and King David. Very interesting. Each time I read through the Bible, I see a new theme, a new truth, a new "take" on the truth (not stories) told in the Bible. You see, that is what knowing Jesus Christ as your own personal Saviour is all about. He gives you understanding of the Bible and continually teaches you if you open your heart and mind.

What I am being aware of this time through I Samuel is this: As is already known, there was a rift in the relationship between Saul and David. Jonathan was sort of the "go-between". Jonathan seemed to handle it pretty well. Then one day Jonathan asked Saul about David and Saul got so angry with Jonathan (by the way, Jonathan was Saul's son), that he threw a spear at him. From reading through the chapters, it becomes very clear that the people of Israel kept the feud going. There are verses all through I Samuel where it says, so-and-so came to Saul and said, David is such-and-such. Then Saul would take off after him. There were 2 times that David could have killed Saul-one in which he cut a piece of Saul's clothing off and the other was when he took Saul's bolster and spear, I think. Each time, when David told Saul how he had spared his life, Saul's response seemed to be one of love and respect and he seemed okay with David until someone else came to him later and said, David is doing such-and such and David is in some city. Who knows if maybe they could have gotten along if the people had left them alone and also if Saul had not listened to the people? Another interesting thing I noticed is that it says that "an evil spirit from the Lord came upon Saul". Didn't know the Lord sent evil spirits to his children. Then the Bible says that David was brought in to play music for Saul and Saul would be comforted by the music. So, music can be used to take away an "evil spirit". I KNOW it can also bring on an evil spirit. I do know enough about music to KNOW that is true!

Anyway, my thots on reading thru the Bible.

2 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru thots thru

8:04 PM  
Blogger Suzette said...

Hi GT,

I popped over from your comment on the Life at Grace blog.

I have a John McArthur One Year Bible NKJV. I love it. It will probably take me a year and a half or more before I get through it. I am on Oct 12 right now. It is so great. It has two chapters of the old testament one chapter of the new and a section of Psalms and Proverbs every day. What a blessing it has been.

What a delightful testimony of God working to bring you out of bitterness and back to Himself. I can really relate.

I have a book that I would love for you to read. It has turned my thinking about marriage and family completely around. I will put a couple on the Grace Church Library free cart. One is for you. Please read it and let me know what you think. I have given away a few and the comments from other people have helped me as much as the book. The bood is "Created to Be His Help Meet" by Debi Pearl. She raises the bar so much higher than anyone I have ever read and the fruit in our marriage and family life has been great.

e-mail me with some comments on the book. It will be there after Thursday March 2. my e-mail is in my profile.

I will pray that God will use you and your husband to minister to those who are hurting.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home